Welcome back, Dreamer! In this post, we’ll show you how to make a DIY stenciled pillowcase step-by-step. So please try this lovely and easy DIY project! We hope you will enjoy it!
We will do this project with a decoration technique achieved with a template or stencil and textile paint.
Let’s learn a little more about this technique.
It’s an ancient technique, which is performed by cutting the image to be printed on a plastic or cardboard stencil that is placed on the surface to be printed.
The paint is applied on the stencil with small taps so that the paint only goes through the cut parts of the stencil.
There are different methods for applying the paint:
- With a stencil brush by removing excess paint and applying it with small taps.
- With a foam roller or aerosol to create fine and delicate drawings.
Now let’s start with this step-by-step DIY stenciled pillowcase!
First, the list of things you will need:
- A cutting mat
- Two 16 1/2” x 18” rectangles
- 1 Pillow
- A cardboard or newspaper
- Wax paper
- The design of the stencil and an acetate sheet
- Big and small scissors
- Microstitch (optional)
- Decorative buttons
- Invisible zipper
- Measuring tape
- Textile paint
- Paint pallet
- Hard paint brush
- A piece of fabric
- The standard foot for your sewing machine
- Leather needles
- An iron
1. Trace and cut the stencil design on the acetate.
2. Lay a cardboard on the table to protect it.
3. Put one of the fabric rectangles
- Put the stencil in the middle or where you prefer
- Use the microstitch to hold the stencil
4. Take some paint with the brush.
5. Remove the excess and start painting by tapping.
- It’s a slow process but with great results
6. Continue until you’ve covered the whole stencil.
7. Cut the plastic stitches and remove the stencil.
To set the paint we need to apply heat.
- So place the wax paper with the waxed surface to the fabric
- Iron applying pressure
9. Remove the wax paper.
10. Place the buttons as you wish and sew them.
11. Put the rectangles facing right sides together.
- Sew 5cm on each side to sew the zipper
- Mark and pin it
12. Sew both sides with straight stitch.
13. Pin one side of the zipper and sew it.
14. Pin the sides of the pillow case to close.
- Sew it with a straight stitch
15. When you finish turn the pillow case inside out
- Push out the corners
16. Put the pillow inside the case.
- Now close the pillowcase
And your DIY stenciled pillowcase it's ready!
This design we present to you is an idea that can inspire you to create unique, charming and fun designs with the same technique.
See you in the next post! Bye fow now!